Three dead in Blackpool after suspected contaminated heroin enters circulation
PLUS: New plans for former Yates's site
Hello and welcome to The Blackpool Lead.
Today we report after the death of three people in Blackpool.
The phrasing of the news from police in Blackpool meant that people drew the conclusion that the three people had died in one place, at the same time, but questions asked by The Blackpool Lead show that not to be the case.
But it is three tragic deaths - all within the age demographic where it most likely someone will die a drug-related death - and that ultimately raises questions about what is being done to tackle the issue.
Blackpool’s issues with drug-related problems - and all the conditions that can lead to the issues - are well-documented. And conversations we had in publishing this article show that there is unlikely to be any quick remedy.
‘No quick fix’ to problems that lead to drug use - and deaths - in Blackpool
By Luke Beardsworth
The death of three people has again drawn attention to Blackpool’s continued struggles with drug misuse.
Police have launched an investigation into the deaths of two men and one woman in Blackpool, suspected to be drug-related.
A 31-year-old man from Blackpool has been arrested over alleged involvement in drug dealing and released on bail and police issued a warning stating ‘there is no safe way of taking drugs’.
Following enquiries by The Blackpool Lead, Lancashire Constabulary has confirmed that all three deaths happened at different locations, on different dates, across February and March this year.
All three people who died were in their 40s and from Blackpool. Police are investigating with the belief that the deceased had taken contaminated heroin - although this has not yet been confirmed.
Blackpool’s battle with drug-related deaths continues to be an issue with local health bosses previously drawing attention to the previous government’s ‘disproportionate cuts’ in the town.
The most recent figures show drug related deaths are around four times higher in Blackpool than the rest of the country – 19.5 per 100,000 of the population in 2020/22 (up from 13.7 in 2011/13) compared to 5.2 per 100,000 in England.
A crude rate of 28.6 per 1,000 people are estimated to be using opiates and/or crack cocaine in Blackpool, compared to an average of 9.5 for England and 11.9 for the North West. This is the third highest rate in England behind the City of London and Middlesbrough.
Of the 90 deaths from drug misuse from 2021-23, over three quarters were male. The highest rate of drug misuse deaths was found in those aged 40-49 years - as was the case with all three deaths reported this week.
Chris Webb, MP for Blackpool South, said that he believes it will take long-term work to improve the conditions that can lead to high levels of drug use, and deaths.
He told The Blackpool Lead on Tuesday: “We know about the damage that the funding cuts, under the previous government, have caused in Blackpool.
“Blackpool is always top, or near the top, of any leagues for deprivation, health inequalities, drug use and all manner of things you don’t want Blackpool to be top for.
“We know that we need to rectify that and Lorraine [Beavers, MP for Blackpool North and Fleetwood] and I have been working to that end.
“This government is the first in a long time to be working properly to tackle the issues, but it’s not an overnight fix. It’s been a staggering amount of cuts and they’re going to be felt for 8-10 years.
“But devolution is a big part of that solution, seeing funds come directly into Blackpool and be spent locally.
“We know what needs to be done but we just need the support.”
Dr Arif Rajpura, director of public health at Blackpool Council, said in his most recent annual report: “I’d like to see more money coming into public health. That would be fantastic. Some of the cuts that we’ve had have been quite deep, in the public health budget and the council budget as well.
“I would love to see local government appropriately resourced, especially reversing the disproportionate cuts that have happened to places like Blackpool compared to more affluent areas.”
We’re delighted to say Cosy Homes in Lancashire is supporting independent, in-depth journalism in Lancashire by sponsoring The Blackpool Lead and The Lancashire Lead. Discover how they can help you improve energy efficiency in your home and keep it warmer.
Ambitious plans to bring former Yates Bar back into use in Blackpool
By Luke Beardsworth
A much-discussed Art Deco bar in drastic need of work could be brought back into use under new plans.
The former Yates, on the Promenade at South Shore, was one of the resort’s most popular bars but closed to the public in 2022.
But now owner Raghbir Singh Basrai has submitted a full application to Blackpool Council to breathe new life into the building.
The plans include an extension and an extra floor to the building but the aim - a necessary one given the building’s listed status - is to retain the Art Deco features.
A planning statement, from PWA Planning, stated: “This development seeks to breathe new life into the former Yates Wine Lodge, a locally listed building on the Blackpool seafront, which is currently vacant and at risk of deterioration.
“The iconic two-storey structure, with its distinctive art deco features and prominent position along the Promenade, stands as a valuable heritage asset in need of restoration.
“The proposed redevelopment will revitalise the building while preserving its character, providing much-needed economic and social benefits to the local community.
“The proposed development will safeguard the building’s heritage while enabling it to contribute to Blackpool’s vibrant tourism sector by creating an exciting venue for events, dining, and leisure, helping to draw visitors to the seafront year-round.”
News in headlines 🗞️
We're walking from Blackpool to Morecambe to support fund for Poppy Atkinson who died on football pitch (The Gazette)
LGBTQ+ group creates Blackpool 'rainbow quarter' (BBC)
Blackpool doctor caught speeding through red light and lying to police (LancsLive)
Blackpool thug who left man with brain bleed after attack during last year's riots is jailed (The Gazette)
Thank you for reading The Blackpool Lead this week and for your continued support. We will speak with you again on Sunday.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Luke and The Blackpool Lead team